Using gluten-free flour and dairy-free butter and milk, this recipe for homemade apple pie will be your family’s favorite.
Gluten-Free Apple Pie
Enjoy apple pie again while leaving out the gluten and dairy.
- 3 c. all-purpose gluten-free flour blend with xanthan gum
- 1 c. df gf butter (2 sticks), cold and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 c. cold df milk
- 10 red or golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/4 c. coconut sugar
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, place the sliced apple pieces, sugars and spices and thoroughly mix. Place aside.
- Combine the crust ingredients in a dedicated gf/df food processor, first the cold df butter, then the flour.
- When the flour is crumbly, start adding the df milk a little at a time until the dough is soft and pliable. You may need less than the 1/2 cup.
- With floured hands, remove from the processor (it will be sticky), and divide the dough in half on a floured surface.
- Place one of the doughs on a piece of waxed paper, then cover it with another piece of waxed paper, rolling it out to 1/8″ thickness.
- Remove the top piece of waxed paper and place the pie plate (upside down) on the rolled out dough. This dough is delicate and needs extra care and patience.
- Gently flip the pie plate and dough over so the dough is now in the pie plate. With your fingers, work the dough into the pie plate and make repairs with dough pieces if necessary.
- Place the apples in the pie plate and roll out the other half of dough the same method. Wet the perimeter of the pie crust with water on your fingers.
- Remove the waxed paper from the top of the rolled out dough and gently flip onto the pie. Make decorative seasonal cutouts if you like and wash the pie with d/f milk before baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then turn the pie around for even baking. Keep baking for another 20-30 minutes, checking frequently. If the top is browning too much, cover with foil for the last 15 minutes.
- Completely cool on a wire rack, then serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, df/gf whipped cream or df/gf ice cream.