POLISH BEET SOUP (BARSZCZ)
Quick and Easy Polish Beet Soup
A nutritious and delicious family traditional soup that will keep you warm and healthy throughout the cold winter.
- 1 diced medium onion
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 32 oz. cartons of Organic Vegetable Broth
- 6 washed, peeled, and cooked potatoes (cut in 1 inch cubes)
- 4 medium thoroughly washed, cooked, peeled organic beets (roasted or boiled in water)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. salt and 5-10 twists of cracked pepper (more seasonings to taste)
- optional 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Few sprigs of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 container of vegan plain yogurt or home-made dairy-free sour cream
- With gloves on your hands, shred the cooked beets into a large soup pot.
- Pour both cartons of vegetable broth into the pot of shredded beets, adding in the bay leaf, and salt and pepper, and simmer for 25 minutes over medium heat.
- While the soup is simmering, sauté the cubed potatoes and onions using a pan swirled with the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the potatoes are slightly browned, remove them and place in serving bowls.
- Remove the bay leaf from the beet soup and serve piping hot over the potatoes. Garnish with chopped parsley and a tbsp. of plain yogurt, or homemade sour cream. This soup is great accompanied with Polish Rye Bread.