TEMPURA SHRIMP, CUCUMBER, AND AVOCADO SUSHI In less time it takes to order sushi and pick it up or get it delivered, you can already be enjoying your own custom made sushi at home. Sushi mats are easy to find, and they are washable and re-usable. I usually plan in advance and stock organic ingredients I will need so they are at hand.
Fresh sushi on-demand with the freshest ingredients will be your new go-to food indulgence.
Tempura Shrimp, Cucumber, and Avocado Sushi
Sushi made at home with fresh, organic ingredients.
- 2 cups of warm cooked brown or sushi rice
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 8 tempura shrimp *recipe below
- 1 slivered avocado
- 1 slivered cucumber
- 2 Sushi organic Nori Seaweed sheets
- In a small bowl, mix the warm cooked rice with the rice vinegar and sugar.
- Place a sushi nori seaweed sheet on the bamboo mat (shiny side down) and spread a thin layer of warm rice on it with a wet spoon or hands. Leave a 1/2 inch of space on both ends. (see above photo)
- Assemble the shrimp and vegetables on the end closest to you and wet the ends of the seaweed so it seals after it is rolled up.
- Pick up the bamboo end and gently begin snugly rolling it over all the ingredients in the rice. Be careful not to squeeze to tight or everything will get crushed and come out of the sides.
- As you roll, the bamboo mat will also roll up until you are done. At this point the seaweed will seal onto itself. (See above photo)
- Slice the rolls with a sharp, wet serrated knife for best results. Make sure the sealed side is down.
- Serve immediately with wasabi, gari, soy sauce, and spicy mayo.
*egg-less tempura shrimp recipe: Whisk 1/2 c. gf flour, 1 tbsp. corn starch, 1-3 tbsp. cold water until very smooth. Coat the peeled and de-veined shrimp and fry in hot oil (340-360 degrees) until crispy.