Those convenient tote bags of apples are easy to grab, pay and go. Unfortunately, more than once, when you get to the bottom of the bag, that’s when you find the apples that no one would ever buy if they were out on the produce bin. Since you will have to cut off all of the bruises to eat them, why not go a little further and peel, dice, and make a delicious dessert recipe out of those sad discarded apples?
I have this go-to recipe that has been a staple in my house for 35 years. I even added it to my family recipe book years ago for anyone that wanted to easily find it, and it has been used many times. The flavor is similar to a baked apple, or even an apple pie without the crust. I use dairy-free butter alternative so it is vegan, and if you replace the wheat flour with gluten-free flour, the recipe will also be gluten-free.
Quick and Easy Apple Crisp
Tastes like apple pie without the crust, this dessert can be served warm with or without ice-cream.
- 5 c. peeled and sliced apples
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ½ c. regular rolled oats
- ½ c. packed brown sugar
- ¼ c. wheat or gluten-free flour
- ¼ c. dairy-free butter alternative
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ c. chopped nuts
preheat oven to 350°
- Place the apples and chopped nuts in an oblong baking dish.
- Stir in the sugar.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Cut in the dairy-free butter alternative until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Sprinkle the topping over the filling. I like to stir mine all around the apples.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 40 minutes or until the topping is browned.
- Serve warm with Vegan ice cream.
One response to “Quick and Easy Apple Crisp DF/V/GF”
[…] you enjoy this cake, you may want to try my other apple recipes: Quick and Easy Apple Crisp DF/V/GF , Family Recipe Vegan Apple Pie , Vegan Fig and Apple Crumble Crust Pie […]