Balsamic Beets with Toasted Pepitas
Easy prep for this impressive appetizer.
- 1 bunch of organic beets (usually 3 in a bunch).
- ¼ . chopped and toasted pepitas
- 4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. agave
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Garnish of arugula, mixed greens, or micro greens
preheat oven to 350° or set the barbecue on medium
- Wash the beets and greens on top thoroughly, saving the greens for another recipe. Wrap them in foil and roast in the oven for 45 minutes. If you wish to cook outdoors in the barbecue, do the same.
- Remove from the oven/barbecue and let sit for 10 minutes to cool a bit.
- While you are waiting, put the balsamic vinegar in a small pot and add in the agave.
- Cook over medium heat for 2-5 minutes stirring constantly until thickened, but not too thick. The glaze will get thicker as it cools.
- Gently peel the skin off of the beets, and cut into small wedges.
- Pour the glaze over the beets and garnish with the pepitas, salt and pepper and greens.