The healthiest burgers to put on the grill this Father’s Day is Black Bean Burgers! But the transition isn’t always easy for those die-hard meat eaters. I find it is best to have both meatless and meat patties ready to go, and this way everyone is happy at your barbecue. But to be quite honest, I don’t know why the wait to switch to meatless!
GF Cayenne Seasoned Black Bean Burgers
A healthy twist to the everyday ground meat hamburger that is loaded with plant based nutrition as well as a perfectly seasoned taste.
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed in a strainer and then mashed with a fork in a bowl.
- 1/4 c. df/gf breadcrumbs
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped onions
- 1 flegg* (vegan egg substitite)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Enough Canola oil to coat the grates of an outdoor barbecue or indoor grill pan.
- Fresh vegetables to top your burger. It can be leaf lettuce, purple onion, tomato, avocado, jalapeño, pickles, etc.
- Of course, use my homemade Velvety Vegan Creamy Mayo to spread on the bun.
*recipe: flegg recipe
- In a large mixing bowl, place the first 6 ingredients and mix well.
- Form 4 large patties and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the grill you are planning to use (indoor or outdoor) and coat the grates with the oil. On medium heat, grill the burger approx. 4-5 minutes on one side and gently turn over. Grill another 4-5 minutes.
- The patty is done when both sides have browned sear marks.
- Serve on a toasted GF bun with the mayo and vegetable toppings of your choice.