The party invites are rolling in; Graduations, Backyard Barbecues, Pool Parties, just to mention a few. After attending a few so far, I’m always inspired by the great foods and recipes used in summer favorites.
It’s no secret, I love summer salads. Potato salad, coleslaw, and pasta salad are fantastic dishes set out for parties. But, if they aren’t kept on ice or inside, the mayonnaise in them can be highly perishable, and therefore not a great candidate in the heat of our Northeast summer.
I made my healthier version of Potato Salad without using mayonnaise at all. In fact, I added the dressing while the potatoes were a bit warm, allowing them to absorb the flavor better. And of course, there are many versions of this potato salad. If you desire, you can add in cherry tomatoes, olives, or even add in a dollop of grainy mustard. However you like it, it is a welcome addition to your party table!
Italian Potato Salad
A lighter and more flavorful version of old-fashioned mayonnaise dressed potato salad, this version is a great addition to your party table.
- 14 small cooked potatoes cut up into small cubes, leaving skin on. I used a blend of purple, red, and white potatoes.
- ½ roasted pepper slivered
- ¼ c. chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ c. each of extra virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar
- Himalayan sea salt, fresh ground pepper and oregano to taste
- ¼ red onion cut into slivers
- Place the cut up potatoes into a mixing bowl adding in the onion slivers, peppers, parsley and salt and pepper.
- In a small mason jar, shake the oil and vinegar and immediately add to the potato bowl, gently tossing with a large spoon until well blended. There may be a bit of dressing at the bottom, this will be absorbed as it sits in the refrigerator.
- Let the flavors blend well for an hour, even better overnight, then serve.